stylist | motivational thought leader | published author
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
Monika Willis from Annapolis, Maryland is the daughter of Chandler Powell and the late Terry Pinkney. Monika was called by God in 1998 and accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior. She began bringing forth the Word of God in 2011 and became a licensed minister in 2015. Her life is dedicated to living by example and encouraging men and women to live up to their full potential in the name of Christ Jesus. Her proclamation is “For all that God has done, I owe Him my life and I could never repay, but I will die trying!”
Monika has been mentoring and counseling for over a decade; she reaches others with humor, warmth, transparency, love and strength. She has been a full-time entrepreneur / business owner for over 25 years, Licensed Cosmetologist (MD-2002 & TX-2020), a Hair Wellness Specialist and educator, author, teacher, conference speaker, counselor, mentor, motivational thought leader and sought out Mistress of Ceremony (MC). In addition, she is a published author in an all women collaboration entitled, Moments in HerStory: From Pain to Purpose.
Clients praise Monika for her welcoming, tranquil and drama-free atmosphere as she caters to the whole person; Monika is committed to excellence. “Her business motto is, We don’t just do hair, We care”. Monika is a woman of integrity, believes in client satisfaction and delights in seeing her clients get up from her chair confident and feeling beautiful inside and out. She was been thriving on enhancing your beauty and image, specializing in healthy hair restoration, creative styling and cutting.
Monika leads people into the presence of God through prayer, praise and worship. Through her prophetic gift, God has blessed Monika to speak directly into the lives of many and the broken hearts of wounded souls have been healed. From her ministry to women and men in her salon was birthed “Moments with Mo”, a platform for empowerment, encouragement, motivation and to give hope to the nations, blending ministry and marketplace.
Monika has an extensive resume from her ministry & marketplace including, but not limited to:
• Opening Unique Salon Xperience in 2002 after operating Perfect Illusions, her 1st salon, doing $5 finger waves in the school bathroom at age 13 & graduating from Empire Beauty School
• Serving as an educator for Design Essentials since 2008 & McBride Research Laboratories
• Celebrity stylist to X-Factor’s David Correy from 2009-2017
• Working alongside Freddie J, co-star of the documentary “Good Hair,” starring Chris Rock, and styled actress Jae Seymour for the red carpet premiere of “Walk In My Shoes''.
• Featured in four nationally syndicated magazines: twice in Sophisticate’s Black Hair Magazine, Cilium as #1 stylist in Anne Arundel County, MD and Style Q.
• Contributing writer for “Health Talk”, the Magazine, enlightening readers on healthy hair.
• Received citations and acknowledgments from several branches of government to include
o the Maryland House of Delegates, United States Senate office of Barbara Mikulski, a Governor’s Citation from State of Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, Jr, an Executive Citation from Anne Arundel County Executive Steven R. Schuh, Certificate of Special Recognition from the Maryland House of Representatives, 3rd Congressional District leader, the Honorable John P. Sarbanes and a signed citation from the Maryland General Assembly’s Senator Bryan Simonaire, Delegate Nicholaus Ripke and Delegate Megan Simonaire.
• Started “Unique Tee-hab'' in 2016, a t-shirt ministry where positive and encouraging quotes such as F.L.Y (first love yourself), Popping Like Gum and Now Faith were placed on a t-shirt for others to wear with confidence.
• Participated in several service projects such as supporting
o the animal shelter, SPCA, back to school supply giveaway, hat, scarf and gloves drive, coat drive for Sarah’s House in Fort Meade, quarterly vision empowerment meetings at her salon and participating in the Annual Martin Luther King Jr parade in Annapolis
o the Anne Arundel County Public Schools “New Teacher Welcoming”, providing free hairstyles to teachers across Anne Arundel County
o the Look Good Feel Better training in 2018 through the American Cancer Society to help service those going through chemo and radiation treatments
Because of USX’s dedication to the Anne Arundel County, MD community, US Senator Barbara Mikulski forwarded a letter of recognition to the salon.
Monika has been a sought out speaker and MC at various community and business events, church services, fundraisers and celebrations, sharing God’s love and hope to the nations such as, but not limited to:
• the Annual C.O.G.I.C Meeting at Greater Maryland Jurisdiction
• The Hope of Judah Baptist Church, women empowerment conference, “I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar.”
• the Domestic Violence and Breast Cancer Event, Lupus Awareness events
• Mount Olive AME Church of Annapolis, Maryland at their annual event, “100 Women in White,” in 2016, 2017 and 2018
• Marley Elementary and Life Dome Empowerment Worship Center and guest co-host in 2016 and 2017 on Under the Mat Radio Show
Monika’s prayer is that people all over the world would learn to live as brothers and sisters respecting the differences and promoting our progress while healing each other’s wounds and using wisdom from our experiences. While in turn, propelling each other forward in this thing called life, living in unity and loving one another with our whole hearts.
Monika is currently under the spiritual leadership and covering of Pastor Melivn Dickens in Pennsylvania.
In her leisure time she enjoys spending time with her family, reading, traveling and relaxing, but above all, fulfilling the will of God is her main purpose.